Friday, November 30, 2007

Web and Library 2.0 according to the philosophical cat

Well what can I say about Web 2.0? For me, the wonder cat, it has been my new toybox and I've had a great deal of fun playing, as little cats do. That's how I've managed to learn so much in such a short space of time. I guess for the human folk, Web 2.0 applications have turned the Web into into a virtual meeting place, where people can easily share ideas, information and experiences - not just from their own computers, but from any computer connected to the internet. Back when the public first began accessing the Web, I guess there was a real fear, for some, that social interaction among people would suffer as a result of people opting to interact with technology at the expense of interacting with others. Web 2.0 technology has made the Web a more social, human experience. For my Mum (who was almost a Luddite), Library 2.0 is an exciting concept. For the first time She is experiencing all of this wonderful technology first- hand, and can see how libraries can use it to improve and extend their services. In fact, she now thinks that libraries can only remain focal to their communities if they are willing to embrace and use Web 2.0 applications.

1 comment:

L.I.S.T. said...

Describing your mum as an 'almost a Luddite' (I had to look up that word in the dictionary) perhaps it can changed to Techno-Newbie, because she tries and because she tries she will succeed and maybe become a Techno-Wizard in the future